A Columbian Adventure
by Kim Haas
I’m just back from an amazing trip to Columbia. During the 6 days, I visited Bogotá, Cartagena, Palenque San Basilio (Palenque) and Islas Rosario with the Travel Professionals of Color. The visit was designed to introduce travel agents to Columbia and highlight the country’s Afro-Columbian communities. Researchers estimate that between 10-25% of Columbia’s nearly 50 million residents are of African descent.
A heartfelt thank you to the sponsors, hosts and everyone who contributed their time, talent and hours to make this trip possible.
- ProColombia – http://www.procolombia.co/
- Avianca – http://www.avianca.com/us/en/
- Travel Professionals of Color – http://www.tpocassociation.com/
- Downtown Travel – http://downtowntravel.com/
- Gema Tours – http://www.gematours.com/gematours.php?la=en
- Intercontinental Hotel (Cartagena) – https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/gb/en/cartagena/ctgha/hoteldetail
- Hotel Estelar Windsor (Bogotá,) – http://www.hotelesestelar.com/eng/hotel-estelar-windsor-house/
Each year, Columbia observes Afro–Colombian Day on May 21. The annual commemoration celebrates the contributions of Afro-Columbians and the official abolition of slavery in the country in 1851. Kim and Miriam Padilla of M Travel and Events, Yahaira Lopez and Luciana Cherques; Travel Professionals of Color and residents of Palenque.